Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Post USATF 50K Champs - Speed Phase

It's been just over two weeks since the 50K in Caumsett Park. The first week of recovery I felt great, but the second not so much. The injury sustained in the race re-emerged as I started to increase the miles and quality of training. Thanks to my wife (Dr. Ismay Campbell, DC); I was able to fix the problem and resume my training plan.

The weather has been much cooler and we have had so much more rain than normal. However, my first decent workout (last Saturday) was 73F and very windy. The body felt pretty good and I was able to run 2 x 2.5M on Collumns Drive (5:00,5:04=10:04), (5:00, 4:59=9:59). There was a tail wind on the 'out' portion and therefore a head wind coming back. Overall, I was very happy with this solo workout. Tommy Carroll warmed up with me but did not run the workout.

As I normally say "what's next?" I am now training for the Mount Washington Road Race. This race is 7.3M and follows an old road up to the top of 6288ft Mt. Washington (www.mountwashingtonroadrace.com) at an average grade of 12%. The race date is June 19th (13 Weeks from now). In 2010, this race will be the selection race for World Mountain Running Championships, to be held in Slovenia (Sept. 5th). The plan is to spend 7 weeks working on my speed/ efficiency before adding 9 more weeks of higher mileage/ Hill work. I am also training simultaneously for the USATF 50M train Champs in White River, WA.

How will I prepare for such a tough challenge in Marietta, GA? I plan on visiting Mt. Mitchel in North Carolina a few times. This mountain is the highest peak, east of the Mississippi at 6684ft. There are plenty of trails (http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/places/mountains/blacks.html) in the area to enjoy including the MM trail, from the campground at 3200' to the peak (some 3484 ft of climbing in just 5.6M = 622' p/mile!.

Happy Running,

Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment