Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Three weeks to my first U.S. Championships!

I am starting to get a little more excited now. This past weekend I ran a half marathon in Birmingham 4 minutes quicker than my last one (a month ago). I feel I am right on target to hit my goal in New York (http://www.newyorkultrarunning.org/caumsett_state_park_50k2008.htm) of running 31 Miles (50K) in under 3 hours. If I do that I should make the U.S. team for the World Trophy in Irleand. My aim is to run 5:35-5:38 pace (2:53.30 -2:55 finish). Each week I am feeling much stronger and now I am adding speed to be able to feel more relaxed at that pace. Of course, with the weather in New York, anything can happen.

So what's next? I have a couple of tough workouts and one 5k left. This is my last 100M+ week, so I look forward to fresher legs shortly. I do not know who will be contesting the 50K in New York but I really don't care about that right now. I am staying on a strict pace for the first 25M, before making a decision on how I will run the last 6, at mile 25, and not before. In some ways I hope the top guys will be there (such as Mike Wardian), but if not, it will make it easier to focus on pace rather than competition.

Healthy Running - MC

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in NY!

    Don't know how you do those 100M+ weeks...I just did a 46M week and feel like someone whacked my legs with a sledgehammer...

    ReplyDelete